Sunday 19 September 2010

Catching up...

I thought it might we worth writing about the progress I've made in the short time since being diagnosed as being on the Autism Spectrum.

Let's see. 
- Now I can recorgnise different intensities of emotion
- I have strategies to help me deal with difficult social situations and therefore much more confidence
- I am more aware of myself, my own reactions and response, and also how I express emotions.
- I have learnt to see shades of grey like never before (and even silver linings)
- My communication skills are such that I can now be assertive without being offensive or inappropriate, and I can walk away from difficult communications feeling positive instead of thwarted.
- I have more friends than previously
- I have successfully left a toxic friendship that I had been stuck in (almost out of necessity) for several years.
- I am finally able to get along with my own mother.  Who, just last week, agreed she most definitely has Asperger's Syndrome and wishes to learn some of the skills I have learnt this year.
- I am able to do things without a complete fear of failure, and am much more accepting of my own limitations.
- I have found oodles of uses for my Rubik's Cube obsession
- I have been able to use my experience to inspire others
- Best of all, I am happy.

I would say that's a world of progress. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi!
    As well as you I´m an aspie and I just found out like three weeks ago and I love it...at least now I know the reason for my weirdness and why it has been always so difficult for me to interact with the rest of the world (as you say NT). I also had problems getting along with my mom, but when I found out and told her she also knew that she had it...amazing! Now she knows what is like to be me, although I externalize my constant discomfort in contrast to her that had to keep it all inside 'cause my grandpa was also an aspie a very rigid minded one.

    Loved your blog and I hope to read more about your experiences with which I can relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very encouraging to read about your progress. My 16 yr old daughter was recently diagnosed with Aspergers. At first she was relieved to know why she felt different and the "social stuff is so hard." Now she refuses to acknowledge it. Any suggestions fo With a little coaching she'd could accomplish so much. Nothing would be greater than for her to have a list of accomplishments just like yours.

    ReplyDelete